Cold Prevention Routine
I don’t often promote herbal remedies due to the sparse research on them. But this works and there is some data behind it.
At the FIRST sign of a cold, you must act swiftly, and fight on three fronts:
- Exercise modification
- Lifestyle modification
- 500-2500 mg of Vitamin C (daily total, spread out over 3-5 doses)
- Echinacea (I use Jamieson brand for these and use as directed)
- Ginseng (I use Jamieson brand for these and use as directed)
- Zinc 100 mg (daily total)
- Probiotic (I recommend Genestra, Pure Encapsulations, or Douglas Labs)
- Multivitamin or Greens powder (Douglas Labs) with meals that aren’t perfectly portioned and full of fruit or veg
- Vitamin D 3,000 IU if you aren’t getting summer sun
Spread out the doses to increase absorption of the nutrients. Stay on the routine for a few days after your warning symptoms have passed.
- No high intensity training. This means no heart pounding cardio or pushing weights to failure. These workouts temporarily lower the immune system.
- Do low and moderate training. It elevates your immune system. Try brisk walks uphill for about 20 minutes or lighter resistance training.
Lifestyle and Generally Good Practices:
- Sleep! Sleep now! Better to call in sick for an afternoon than let the illness take hold and be low productivity for a week
- Healthy eating
- Wash hands vigorously with soap before handling food or touching your face
- Brush teeth before eating, especially in the morning (or you will eat a few billion bacteria)
How I know this Works
First of all, research says it works.
Secondly, you’d think I’d get sick more often, beating the crap out of my immune system with frequent high-output training, working in a gym (lots of germs flying around), and working with the public. But I don’t. I’m hardly ever sick, despite getting sick 2-3x a year before I did this routine. Enjoy.